Book Your Free Consultation Today!

Home > > Types of Visas > > Kaary (Work) Visas > > General Skilled Migration (GSM) > > 189 (Skilled Independent) Visa
Types of Visas
189 (Skilled Independent) Visa  
The Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) visa is a points-based visa category aimed at selecting overseas skilled individuals with specific qualifications needed in various states of Australia. This visa enables skilled workers to relocate and reside in Australia independently, without requiring sponsorship from a family member or nomination by a state or territory government.
Step 1Start your Process with FBP
Step 2Lodge your Skill Assessment
Step 3Lodge Expression of Interest through Skill Select
Step 5Receive SN (State Nomination) & ITA (invitation to apply) for the visa
Step 6Lodge Visa application (within 60 days of ITA)
Step 7Receive 189 Visa Grant


The Skilled Independent (Points-tested) stream is designed for point-tested skilled workers who do not have employer sponsorship, family member sponsorship, or a nomination from a state or territory government.

Key points about this visa:

  • It grants you permanent residency, allowing you to live and work in Australia indefinitely.
  • To be eligible for the Skilled Independent (Points-tested) stream, you must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).
  • New Zealanders seeking to migrate to Australia can apply under the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) New Zealand stream.


To be eligible for the Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Your profession must be on the 189 occupation list (MLTSSL).
  • You must have a skills assessment of your occupation recognized by Australia.
  • You must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and receive an invitation from the authorities to apply.
  • You need to score enough points in the points test based on your occupation.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 to 44 years.
  • You must demonstrate your English language proficiency.
  • You must meet all health and character requirements.
You can apply for the Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa while in Australia or offshore. If you apply from within Australia, you should hold a Bridging A, B, or C visa, which allows you to stay in Australia during the processing of your visa application. Please note that if your current visa is refused or canceled, you will not be eligible to apply for the Subclass 189 visa while onshore in Australia.
  • You can stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • You are allowed to work and study in Australia.
  • You are eligible to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s medical and spending system.
  • You can sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency.
  • You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you like for up to five years after your visa is issued.